Tips to motivate you and help you reach your diet goals
Read our diet tips every time you need a little extra motivation on your weight loss journey.
Find the tips that resonate with you the most and write down your top 3 diet tips from the very long list here and put then them somewhere, you’ll see them every day. On the fridge, your phone, the biscuit tin, or anywhere you know you’ll see them when your diet cravings kick in – oh wait, that was diet tip number one!
- Each day you stay on your weight-loss diet brings you closer to your weight goal.
- The purpose of getting together with people is to enjoy their company…not eating.
- Chart or graph your weight loss and serving selections.
Quick Dieting Tip
Use mustard on your sandwiches instead of mayonnaise. Mustard has no fat & very little calories while Mayo, is loaded with fat. If you just don’t like the taste of mustard, find a low-fat alternative, but avoid mayonnaise at all costs.
Do it right
- Take small servings – avoid gorging yourself.
- Consuming most calories in one big meal is the worst way to diet. Eat 4 or 5 small meals rather than in one all-out feeding frenzy.
- If your schedule only permits you to eat one major meal in a day, eat it in the morning to midday hours rather than afternoon/evening hours.
Fun Dieting Tip
Success is when you can look beyond food…and look down and see your feet.
- Repeat: “I’m learning a way to live, not just a way to diet.”
- Limit your time in the food shop. The longer you stay, the more you will buy.
- Never starve yourself, especially before going out to eat (or you will binge).
What is a Calorie?
Calories are the little bugs that get into your wardrobe at night and sew your clothes tighter.
MY CLOSET IS INFESTED WITH THE LITTLE DEVILS!
- Be patient – it took years to gain weight; it takes time to lose weight.
- “Nibble” food and “linger” over drinks. Do the “Push Away From The Table Exercise.”
- Never skip meals, you must have some kind of nourishment regularly or your body’s starvation defences will kick in, lower your metabolism, and store fat.
Top 20 Diet Tips
- Don’t think that just because you are eating low fat/low calorie foods that you can eat all that you want. The calories still add up and must be burned off regardless of what kind of food you eat. Balance is the key.
- If you are going to a restaurant, decide ahead of time what you will be eating. Stick to it.
- Exercise – If you want to stay healthy and make weight loss permanent you just cant do without exercise. Along with cutting down on the fat you eat exercising regularly may be your best ally in improving your all around health and bringing your weight loss under control.
- Water is essential to all bodily functions and has no calories. It is the perfect drink for dieters. You need eight 8 glasses of water daily.
- Be happy: you’re OK! Resisting all those tempting foods is NOT going to kill you.
- Let someone else be the walking garbage disposal: you are no longer responsible for eating up the leftovers after a meal.
- Success is when you can look beyond food…and look down and see your feet.
- Chew your food completely: digestion begins in the mouth. Avoid “washing” half-chewed food down.
- Lose weight with a supportive friend or in a support group. This will help you stay with your weight loss program.
- Emphasize your weight loss triumphs and work towards making them more frequent
- Weigh yourself each week. Don’t be worried about small daily changes in your weight. You shouldn’t lose more than 1 – 2 pounds a week. There may be weeks when you don’t lose weight. This is normal. Stay on your diet to lose weight.
- Bake, roast, or broil your food instead of frying. Remove all fat from meats and skin from poultry before cooking.
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water each day. This will help flush out your body while also suppressing your appetite
- If you haven’t done so already, switch to diet soft drinks. An average 12 Oz can of regular soda contains around 120 calories, while the diet version usually has one or zero. If you drink 3 cans a day, you’ll be saving 360 calories right there. Now multiply that by 7 days a week, 30 days a month and 365 days a year… You’ll be saving a lot of calories!
- Limit alcohol. Alcoholic drinks have many calories & little else.
- Schedule your exercise time just as you plan your other activities of the day. Treat this time as an important appointment you don’t want to miss
- Write your weight goal & post it where you’ll see it everyday.
- You are responsible for what you do & what you eat.
- Eat to live, not live to eat. Overeating can KILL you!
- Don’t give it up on your diet after one bad day, get straight back on your diet plan and keep going, no diet was ever ruined by one binge – what ruined it was the person deciding to stop dieting!.
- Pick one place at home and work that you will do all your eating.
- Be sure you are seated, because sitting down focuses your attention more directly on the activity of eating.
- Don’t eat anywhere but in that place. and enjoy your food by sitting down and eating slowly.
- By eating in the same place you identify and associate that place with the idea that it is the only area in which you should eat.
- Shop for food only after eating. You’ll be less likely to buy foods impulsively – especially foods you don’t need.
- When you shop for food, stick to your shopping list. This helps you guard against impulse buying. Make sure your list is complete and do not buy any extra food items.
- Watch food labels. Foods with a high percentage of fat (or carbohydrates that are sugars) will slow down your weight loss program Don’t just count grams, count percentage of total calories that are fat or sugars.